Jim Garrison Dies
October 21, 1992
On March 1, 1967, New Orleans
District Attorney Jim Garrison arrested Clay Shaw on the charge of conspiracy to assassinate President John F. Kennedy. Precisely
two years later, on March 1, 1969, Shaw was acquitted by the jury in less than an hour of deliberation.
Earling Carothers "Jim" Garrison, a native of Denison, Iowa, was born on November 20,
1921. He was the District Attorney of Orleans Parish from 1962 to 1973. Garrison believed, at various points,
that the John F. Kennedy assassination had been the work of Central Intelligence Agency personnel, anti-Castro Cuban exiles,
"a homosexual thrill killing," and ultra right-wing activists. "My staff and I solved the case weeks ago,"
Garrison announced in February 1967. "I wouldn't say this if we didn't have evidence beyond a shadow of a doubt."
Garrison died in New Orleans on October 21, 1992.
Born in Kentwood on March 17, 1913, Clay Laverne Shaw was a decorated World War II enlistee, successful businessman,
playwright, pioneer of restoration in New Orleans' French Quarter, and director of the International Trade Mart in New Orleans.
He died in New Orleans on August 15, 1974. Shaw is the only individual ever prosecuted for conspiracy to assassinate
Text and photo by Plaideau from the New Orleans Public Library.
You Can Support this Site by Clicking on & Shopping from the Amazon Ad/Link below
-- and it won't cost you a penny more:
Joseph "Mitch" Landrieu was re-elected State Representative for the 89th Representative District on October 21,
Archaeologist and ethnographer Doris
Zemurray Stone was born on November 19, 1909. She passed away on October
The Marks Isaacs--Williams Mansion at 5120 St. Charles Avenue,
then the Latter Memorial Library was included on the register of National Historic Places on October 21, 1976.
The SS John W. Draper WWII Liberty ship was lauched by Delta Shipbuilding Company in
New Orleans on October 21, 1944.
Plans for an educational building for Parker Memorial Methodist Church
on Nashville Avenue were submitted by W. G. Bergman on October 21, 1955.
Plans for the Fulton Bag and Cotton Mills at 1100 South Peters street were submitted by Stone Brother on October
Editorial cartoon printed in the New Orleans newspaper,
The Mascot on October 21, 1893
Implying that the city would be much improved by the
addition of electric streetcars, this 1893 illustration in The Mascot depicted a proverbial "before and after" Utopian
view. The before displays a mostly empty mule-driven "Slow Gait" car being pushed by men on a swampy street with
dilapidated buildings. The after depicts "Rapid Transit" -- a streetcar filled with well-dressed riders on
a cobblestone street with new buildings under construction.
The city's first electric streetcars were introduced from December 16, 1884 to June 2, 1885 for the World Cotton Centennial
at what would become Audubon Park. It featured displays of electric light illumination, an observation tower with electric
elevators, and several prototype designs of electric streetcars as well as a streetcar line to transport visitors to and
from the city to the "fair". These cars were deemed experimental and then discontinued. Electric streetcars
were not considered sufficiently developed for widespread use until the following decade.
When the City Railroad came under the control of the New Orleans Traction Company in 1892 the system was
prepared for electrification. A large order for new electric streetcars was placed with the Brill
Company of Philadelphia. The Canal Line began electric service on July 28, 1894. It was followed very quickly by
the Esplanade line and the rest of the company's horse/mule car lines. The line was extended slightly in the central business
district to terminate at the foot of Canal Street near the river. Thereafter, all New Orleans streetcars ran on electricity.
Volume VI of the Ship Registers and Enrollments of New Orleans, Louisiana (1861-1879) includes a reference
to the Steam tug Julia
, owned jointly in 1867 by Varnum Sheldon and Williamson Smith. Sheldon was also
the tug's master. The volume reveals that the tug was built at Mobile, Alabama, in 1865. It weighed 74.95 tons and was
109.8 feet long. Sheldon apparently sold his half ownership to Smith the next year and the enrollment was surrendered
at New Orleans on October 21, 1868
, and the vessel was broken up. This card appears to be one of the oldest in the New Orleans Public Library collection.
Dr. Jean Alexandre Francois LeMat (1824–1883), is best known for the percussion
cap revolver that bears his name (the LeMat revolver). LeMat, then a New Orleans
physician, secured US 15925
for his design on October 21, 1856. British patents for the same design were issued in 1859, and he later
designed a revolver rifle of similar concept as the handgun.
In 1847, the Louisiana Legislature established the Insane Asylum of the State of Louisiana at Jackson, La. to provide state
care for the mentally ill. Within a few years, however, conditions had become so overcrowded at the Jackson facility that
patients refused admittance, particularly the indigent insane, were again being housed in local jails and workhouses, as they
had been before the State asylum opened. As an alternative to such care, on October 21, 1854, the New Orleans City
Council passed Ordinance 1794 establishing a "temporary asylum for the indigent insane" in the building on Levee
Street, previously the site of the Third Municipality Workhouse. The ordinance gave Recorders of the various districts
the power to commit patients to this facility "until provision can be made for their admission into the State asylum
at Jackson," and authorized the mayor to appoint a superintendent, one male assistant, and two female assistants who
were to board in the institution. Although apparently intended as a stop-gap measure, the New Orleans Insane Asylum continued
to admit patients until 1883, when it was closed and the remaining patients transferred to Jackson.
On October 21, 1791, City Commissioners, considering that it is against the law of the Revised Code of the
Indies to hold their sessions in the house of the Governor, (which by necessity has been done since the fire), agreed to
rent a house for this purpose. The Commissioners contracted for a house on Royal Street which they cancelled in favor of
some rooms offered at the home of Almonaster which they found more suitable.
A letter from His Majesty, regarding the transfer of the Ursuline Nuns to Havana,
was read at a meeting of the Cabildo on October 21, 1777, and it was agreed to comply with the agreement
of August 22, 1777.