LSU's First Mike the Tiger in his Cage December 4, 1954
Photo from the New Orleans Public Library's Alexander Allison Collection
Mike I was nineteen
years old when this photo was taken. Mike VI now (sometimes) roars at LSU home football games.
Mike I (1936-1956)
In 1934, Athletic Department trainer Chellis "Mike"
Chambers, Athletic Director T. P. Heard, Swimming Pool Manager and Intramural Swimming Coach William G. "Hickey"
Higginbotham, and LSU law student Ed Laborde decided to bring a real tiger to LSU, then known as the "Old War Skule."
They raised $750, collecting 25 cents from each student, and purchased a 200 pound, one-year-old tiger from the Little Rock
Zoo. The cub was born on Oct. 10, 1935, and was originally named Sheik. His name was changed in honor of Chambers, the man
most responsible for bringing him to LSU. Mike I arrived on campus on Oct. 21, 1936. Mike died on June 29, 1956, of complications
associated with kidney disease. Following Mike's death, a fund was established to perpetuate his memory by mounting his pelt
in a lifelike manner and displaying him at the university's Louisiana Museum of Natural History, where it remains to
If you have enjoyed these daily updates, please consider these books by Catherine Campanella for your holiday gift giving:
Joe Brown, born on May 18, 1926 in Baton Rouge, was the undisputed Lightweight
Championship of the World in 1956, a tiltle he held 11 times until losing to Carlos Ortiz
in 1962. Known as the ‘Creole Clouter’ and Joe ‘Old Bones’ Brown, he was managed by Lou
Viscusi and named The Ring's 'Fighter of the Year' for 1961. Brown was inducted into the International Boxing
Hall of Fame in 1996. In his later years he was a trainer in New Orleans and died in New Orleans on December 4, 1997
at age 71.
Stanley Clisby Arthur, historian, orni¬thologist, naturalist, archivist.
Born, Merced, Calif., 1880. Education: schools of California. Early career as journalist in San Francisco, Los Angeles,
El Paso, Tex., New Orleans, and New York. Removed to Louisiana before 1915. Married Ella Bentley, a poet, writer, and
confidential assistant to Elizabeth M. Gilmer (Dorothy Dix, q.v.). Children: Stanley Clisby, Jr. (d. 1931), John Stephen,
and Linden Bent-ley. Served as Louisiana state ornithologist, 1915-1920; naturalist on the Seaman expedition into the interior
of Labrador, 1919; director, Louisiana Conservation Department, Division of Wildlife, 1924-1928; regional director, Survey
of Federal Archives, 1934-1940. Books include The Story of the Battle of New Orleans (1915), Old Fami-lies of Louisiana
(1931), The Birds of Louisiana (1918), The Story of the West Florida Rebellion (1935), The Fur Animals of Louisiana (1931),
Old New Orleans (1944), Louisiana Tours (1950), Audubon: An Intimate Life of the American Woodsman (1937), Jean Laffite:
Gentleman Rover (1952), and New Orleans Drinks and How to Mix 'Em (1937). Died, New Orleans, December 4, 1963;
interred Metairie Cemetery. G.R.C. Sources: New Orleans Times-Picayune, December 5, 1963; Louisiana Union Catalog.
On Tuesday, December 4, 1938 the Cleveland Rams beat the Pittsburg Pirates 7-0 in Municipal
Stadium (City Park Stadium) with 7,500 in attendance. This was the first regular NFL season game ever played in New Orleans.
First NFL Regular
Season Game in New Orleans
First NFL Regular Season Game in New Orleans
The French Opera House burned in the early morning hours of December 4, 1919. By
dawn, the building was in ruins. The cause of the fire was never determined, although it was widely believed to have begun
in the restaurant housed in the building. For years, New Orleanians cherished hopes of rebuilding the theater and resurrecting
the elegant days of French opera, but in the 1960s a modern hotel (now the Inn on Bourbon) was erected on the site. Until
the construction of the Theater of the Performing Arts in 1973, New Orleans was without a permanent home for opera. (From
the New Orleans Public Library) See Photos.
CSS PAMLICO, a side-wheel steamer purchased in New Orleans on July 10, 1861, was placed
in commission of the Confederate navy on September 2 with Leutenant W. G. Dozier, CSN in command. She operated
in the vicinity of New Orleans, clashing ineffectually with vessels of the Federal blockading squadron on December
4 and 7, 1861, and on March 25 and April 4, 1862. PAMLICO was burned by her officers
on Lake Pontchartrain, when New Orleans fell to the Union.
George Frederick Castleden, painter, etcher. Born, Canterbury, England, December
4, 1861. Studied with Sir Thomas Sidney Cooper, Cooper Gallery, Canterbury, England. Removed to Canada, 1888,
then to the United States, where he traveled as a scene painter, visiting New Orleans in 1911 and later moving to the city,
ca. 1917. Known for paintings and illustrations of French Quarter courtyards. Exhibited in Canada, 1890s; Arts and Crafts
Club, New Orleans, 1922, 1924, Palette and Pencil Club, New Orleans, 1926; New Orleans Art League, 1927, 1936. Awarded:
Cooper Gallery, Canterbury, England, first prize for landscape painting; Territorial Exposition, Regina, Saskatchewan,
Canada, first prize for landscape in oil, and for collections of oils and watercolors, 1896; Winnipeg, Canada, gold medal
for etching, four first prizes and two second prizes, 1896; Exhibition of Canadian Artists, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, first
prize. Died, Abingdon, Va., December, 1945; interred Harbledown, England. Source: http://lahistory.org/site20.php
At the December 4, 1795 meeting of the Cabildo, it was agreed that the hangman could not continue living
at his present abode because it is the place where Royal Ensign Don Andres Almonaster has started construction of the Capitol
Groundbreaking for The Rivergate December 4, 1964
During the "revitalization" efforts of 1950s, the intersection of Canal Street at the river
was considered a prime site. A decade later, on November 12, 1964, C.H. Leavell & Co. submitted
plans for "Rivergate" at number 4 Canal Street.
Municipal Auditorium, dedicated on May 30, 1930, had become obsolete for convention-exhibition purposes.
The modern center for such activities was to face the Mississippi River, relate to the recently completed International
Trade Mart Tower, and tie these two elements together by means of a spacious pedestrian plaza. The designated site,
six city blocks, was bounded by Canal, Poydras, South Peters Street, and what is now Convention Center Boulevard. The
1964 photo on the right shows the streetcar turn at the foot of Canal Street, the Liberty Monument, and the three and four-story
buildings dating from mid nineteenth-century which would be demolished to make way for the Rivergate. Left of center
is a partially demolished warehouse dating from c. 1905. (Photo by Rolland Golden; printed by Robert S. Brantley, Historic
New Orleans Collection.)
The Rivergate was
originally called the International Exhibition Facility. It was to be a key element with International House,
the International Trade Mart, and the hotels in downtown New Orleans as the necessary units required to qualify
the City as a World Trade Center. The concept of the World Trade Center was conceived at the International House
by Dr. Paul Fabry and was the first such institution in what has now become a great worldwide organization.
The proposed construction of an elevated expressway along
the riverfront threatened to thwart the site plan of the Rivergate and would have separated the building from the river and
from the International Trade Mart office building. The decision was made to funnel this section of the expressway
into an underground tunnel at an estimated additional cost of $1.5 million. Meanwhile, the plans for the Rivergate
were being seriously delayed, awaiting a final decision regarding the actual construction of the expressway. At this
time the idea for the great covered porch materialized. The sheltered driveway not only made good sense as a way to deal
with the possibility of tropical downpours during Rivergate events, but it also left open the option of constructing
the tunnel at a later date while allowing construction of the building to proceed on schedule. In time the tunnel, 6 lanes
wide and 30 feet high, was authorized, designed into the plan, and constructed. The Riverfront Expressway, however,
was eventually defeated, and the tunnel remained, unused, during the life of the Rivergate.
The Rivergate was designed by the local firm Curtis and Davis (Nathaniel Cortlandt Curtis Jr. (1917–1997) and Arthur
Quentin Davis (1920–2011) who had also designed the Thomy Lafon School (1954) and the Louisiana State Penitentiary
at Angola (1956) and would later design the Superdome. The undulating forms of the Rivergate's thin barrel
vaults were not whimsical but are the precise shape necessary to manage the unusually long spans required for the roof
over the column free space below. The cantilevers all around contribute to the stability of the roof structure. The selection
of six temple like bays utilized to the limit the spans between columns; the columns themselves are slender and graceful,
suited to the task of support. The Rivergate, while it stood in New Orleans, was looked upon by many as a significant
example of outstanding national and international contemporary architecture and was compared to the recognized masterpieces
of its period. The most distinguishing feature of the Rivergate was the roof. The 95,500-sq. foot South Hall
was covered by a swooping and sweeping dual curved roof. This reinforced concrete barrel-arched roof design was symbolic
of the rolling Mississippi River which flows about 500 feet from the building. Engineering News Record referred to
these "humpbacked" 1-1/2 catenary curve barrel arches 453 ft. long as having the profile of a whale. The Rivergate
roof was perhaps the longest thin shell concrete roof span that had been constructed at that time. The 34,500-sq. foot
North Hall, later called Penn Hall, in honor of its distinguished and successful manager, Herman Penn, was spanned
by steel trusses 6' deep and covered with a flat roof.
It was under construction from 1964 to 1968,
at a cost of $25 million. By 1994, this building was estimated to be worth $300 million. The Rivergate had pedestrian
entrances on Canal and Poydras Streets and Convention Center Boulevard. The South Peters Street elevation was dedicated
to entrance and exit openings for the two-level subsurface 800-automobile parking garage, a long loading dock with two
access doors 20' x 20' to the first floor, and freight elevators.
The caption for the postcard (above) reads: The
RIVERGATE, which covers six city squares, located where famed Canal Street meets the Mississippi River, is one of the most
uniquely constructed convention-exhibition halls in the country. Boasting 130,000 square feet of clear, unobstructed space,
with no posts or pillars; it is capable of seating more than 16,000 persons for an assembly or meeting with 733 - 10'
x 10' exhibit spaces, or a combination of both. This 13 1/2 million dollar ($13,500,000) structure will be one of the
nation's newest and finest facilities".
Ground breaking ceremonies on December 4, 1964
were followed by the driving of piles and a deep excavation to provide space for the parking garage, mechanical and electrical
equipment, stairs and escalators to move people from subsurface levels up to the first floor, and the tunnel 60' x
750' ($1.3 million).
Although the Rivergate was conceived and designed as a convention-exhibition facility, it
was also used as the venue for Mardi Gras balls, high school graduations, and the lying in state of New Orleans native
Mahalia Jackson in 1972). But like the Municipal Auditorium, the Rivergate became obsolete in its usefulness as a convention
and exhibition center. The Ernest N. Morial Convention Center was being planned in 1978. As of 2006, it
has about 1.1 million square feet of exhibit space, covering almost 11 blocks, and over 3 million square feet of total space.
It is the 5th-largest facility of its kind in the United States and would dwarf the old Rivergate.
In June 1992, Louisiana House Bill 2010 (Act 384 of the 1992 Regular Session) authorized a land-based casino in New Orleans.
The legislation specifically defined the location of the land-based casino -- the Rivergate site at the foot of Canal
Street. The law did not require the Rivergate to be torn down, and it did not require a new casino to be built.
City of New Orleans then altered the zoning ordinances to allow construction of a casino at the Rivergate site.
The city issued a call for casino proposals due on August 14, 1992 which required a $50,000 payment
for the privilege of submitting a proposal, half of which was refundable to unsuccessful bidders.
5, 1992, Mayor Sidney Barthelemy and the City Council picked Christopher Hemmeter-Caesar's Palace (known as
the Grand Palais group) to lease the city-owned Rivergate site for development of a casino. The lease was signed
on April 27, 1993.
Subsequently, the Casino Board awarded the casino operator's license to Harrah's Jazz, a partnership
of Harrah's and the Jazzville group (all local investors).
On April 15, 1993, Mayor Barthelemy
and the City Council finalized the selection of Hemmeter as the "developer" -- he later teamed with Caesar's
World of Las Vegas to operate the casino in a renovated Rivergate but soon the Hemmeter-Caesar's group proposed its demolishion
to make way for a new building called Grand Palais. This plan would include a twenty-two-inch deep pond, called
Celebration Lake which would run across the foot of Canal Street, ending at One Canal Place. And there would be a sound
and laser-light show and much more including a recreation of Bernard the colonnaded arcades at the Palace of Fine Arts in
San Francisco. In the end, the only elements of the Grand Palais scheme that were constructed were the "Casino
Support Facility" -- a ten-leve, 2 1/2 block long parking garage) which replaced a group of nineteenth-century buildings
at the corner of Poydras and South Peters Streets and the tunnel linking it to the casino. But everything else fell
The official "wall-breaking" ceremony took place on Friday, January 13, 1995.
On this occasion, a back hoe equipped with a claw toothed bucket and a "Harrah's" banner draped on its back
climbed up the steps at the Canal-South Peters Streets entrance and began wrecking the underside of the cement plaster
Much of the concrete debris was hauled to West End at Lake Pontchartrain to be used as fill for
enlargement of a park off Breakwater Drive. Although only reinforced concrete was supposed to be dumped there, other
debris was included. The nature of the debris stirred environmentalists and their protests stopped the dumping at the
West End site.
On October 28, 1999, Harrah's Casino was completed at the foot of Canal Street,
three years behind schedule.
This grainy December 4, 1925 advertisement, with a "picture taken yesterday", illustrates
just how undeveloped many parts of East Jefferson Parish was at the time (and for decades afterward in many areas of the parish).
The ad boasts that "one hundred persons in twenty-eight automobiles witnessed the formal opening". What's
not said is that the people where transported from town by the developers, a not-uncommon practice back in the day when Metairie
was considered "out in the country". What the visitors saw, after the long ride out, was an almost entirely
undeveloped tract of land.
The "Prominent State and
Parish officials" all had a personal interest in the development of Bridgedale, as they were investors. They were
Secretary of State James Baily, Senator Jules G. Marine Bank Vice-President Fisher, J.A. Bandi, president of Johness Realty
Allen H, Johness, vice-presidient of the same company James E. Emonds, M.P. Arnoult, and others well-known at the time.
Johness callled them "The strangest group of day laborers ever seen at work in or about New Orleans history"! Johness
even had cameramen from the Harcol Film Company cranking away to capture this auspicious event on celluloid.
"Where great highways intersect, cities have always grown", stated the advertisement. The
Bridgedale area certainly did grow, as we know now, but the prophecy of the pitchmen never truly materialized. The "PROMINENT
HIGHWAYS" did not yet exist, nor did the bridge the development was named for. Transcontinental Drive, which bordered
the proposed subdivision, was a dirt road but plans were in store to turn it into a 100-foot roadway to be turned over the
state which would run from the proposed Huey P. Long Bridge to the proposed Hammond Highway which would run along Jefferson
Parish' lakeshore. The "newly-voted" Kenner Highway (now Kenner Avenue) was largely abandoned when the Air-Line
Highway was built.
A look at proceeding newspaper ads give us
a good picture of how Bridgedale evolved. During 1925 we see that streets were being constructed south of Airline between
Transcontinental, Central Avenue, and Jefferson Highway. The 704 acre tract "at the head of the proposed bridge"
was at first divided into large squares and marketed not to individuals but to investors. Sixty-two lots were sold in November.
"Bridgedale is being most artistically laid out and will
eventually be one of the finest moderate priced home subdivision in the South" pitched the admen to investors.
"Jefferson Parish is rapidly coming into its own, taking great strides in development that rival the best that has
been seen in the entire South", they added. Johness Realty, with Securities Company, Inc., reported selling $350,000
worth of land.
By 1926, the ad-men touted Bridgedale' being "centrally
located". Central to where is a mystery, as not much else near it had been developed at the time. Investors
claimed 600 sales in three days. In March, "Bring your picnic basket" was a ploy to attract potential buyers.
A private ad stated in December, "Will trade valuable lots in Bridgedale for automobile or what have you" for property
near the "New Airline Road (highway).
In 1927 a chunk
of Bridgedale property was sold $40 per front foot. In April -- "Must sell in Bridgedale fronting Clearview
Parkway. Ready to build within 6 months. $300. The same month someone advertised free campsites with water and
other conveniences. The most amusing ad, from a modern perspective, stated "Will sell half of my square on Clearview
Parkway at sacrifice or trade for revenue producing property". The pitchmen reported that 500 people bought $1.3 million
dollars worth of Bridgedale land.
During the 1930s modern bungalows
were being built and marketed. A bargain could be had in September -- "Fronts Airline Hwy. near Bridgedale.
$25 front foot, 600 feet deep. Oak Trees. High Sandy Soil".
May 1946, offered "Wonderful chance for someone to have a country home and business combined -- grocery store and single
residence" on Queen Street. Despite some development in the area, Bridgedale was still largely unpopulated. In
October 1946 a "Poor Man's Chance" was offered -- "Small cottage on large lot on Main Street in Bridgedale.
Also milk cow".
By 1951 Bridgedale school was under
construction, attesting to the fact that the subdivision had grown substantially. St. Edward the Confessor parish was established
on June 1, 1964 and the temporary chuch opened, in what is now the school cafeteria, in 1965. St. Edward's
school opened on September 1, 1965. The 1970s brought a boom in Bridgedale construction with the development
of homes between Transcontinental, Clearview, West Metairie, and the I-10. And the rest is history.