Broad Street Overpass
March 24, 1953
The caption on the reverse side of this March 24, 1953 Leon Trice Photography photo, taken
for the Public Relations Office of City Hall, reads "New Orleans traffic, once blocked by obsolete old canal and numerous
railroad tracks, now moves smoothly over S. Broad Overpass in center of city. This is one of 11 grade separation structures
completed to date in New Orleans' integrated Union Passenger Terminal and grade separation program. Other projects are
now now under construction."
The "obsolete old canal" was the New Basin, whose turning
basin was located between Howard Avenue, South Rampart, and Julia Streets. Its path generally followed what is now the
Pontchartrain Expressway and Pontchartrain Boulevard/West End Boulevard to the lake. The new Union Passenger Terminal
was built on the filled basin and it replaced the old railroad station on Canal Street at Elk Place.
this view, looking toward Tulane Avenue from Calliope Street, the Falstaff Brewery and its iconic weather ball can be
seen right of center. New Orleans Parish Prison is left of center.
Other photos of South Broad Street.
You Can Support this Site by Clicking on & Shopping from this Amazon Link -- and it
won't cost you a penny more:
Marshall Ballard, journalist, chemist. Born, Baltimore, Md., 1879. Education: Baltimore public schools;
Baltimore College of Pharmacy; Johns Hopkins University, B. S., Chemistry. Began newspaper career almost accidentally on
Baltimore Evening News. Removed to Norfolk, Va., to work on the Norfolk Dispatch, owned by classmate James M. Thomson.
Removed to New Orleans, 1907, after Thomson bought the New Orleans Daily City Item. Renamed the New Orleans Item with
Ballard as city editor. Served in that capacity for forty years, and established credentials as a progressive crusader.
Met future wife, Dr. Edith Loeber (q.v.) while helping a group of women organize the Hospital and Dispensary for Women
and Children. Married Edith Loeber, July 23, 1912. Five children, including Samuel and Marshall, Jr. Through paper, conducted
a twenty-five-year campaign against a "levees-only" theory of flood control; ultimately successful. Wrote the
anti-Klan platform for successful gubernatorial candidate Henry Fuqua (q.v.). A staunch opponent of Huey P. Long (q.v.).
Maintained a chemistry lab at his country home in Bay St. Louis, Miss. Died, New Orleans, March 24, 1953;
interred Lafayette Cemetery I. G.R.C. Sources: James M. Thomson, Louisiana Today (1939); New Orleans Times-Picayune,
March 25, 1953. From http://lahistory.org/site19.php
On March 24, 1909, Debuys, Churchill and Labouisse submitted plans for the Trinity Episcopal
Church Parish House at 1400 Jackson Avenue.
The Christian Science Monitor reported
on March 24, 1909
that Baptist churches in New Orleans are having a revival season. Among the speakers are
the Rev. EY Mullins, president of the Baptist Theological Seminary at Louisville; Dr. WW Hamilton, evangelist; Dr. CA Stewsrt.
The New Orleans Democratic party convention met on March 24, 1884 and nominated J. Valsin
Guillotte for Mayor.
The Cabildo issued several documents relative to the construction of a building for lodging the guardian
of the Bayou St. Jones Bridge on March 24, 1797. On the same day, the governing body also reviewed a request
from Jn. Bte. Combelle and Marie Louise Fromentin, his wife, soliciting a lot situated at the place called half-moon, the
city parish, in order to establish a walk and a country house; this as indemnification of a sum of $200 which is due them
by the treasurer of the run-away negroes.