Tulane Stadium Demolition Begins
November 18, 1979
Ground was broken for Tulane stadium on
April 7, 1924. It opened on October 23, 1926 with a seating capacity of roughly 35,000. New Orleans-Item
sports editor Fred Digby popularized the term "Sugar Bowl" in 1927. The first Sugar Bowl game was played there on
January 1, 1935, against the Philadelphia Temple Owls. The last was on December 31, 1974 when Nebraska beat Florida
In 1947 the stadium was expanded to accommodate 80,985 fans. Lights were installed in 1957. It was the home of
the Saints, from their first game on September 17, 1967 when John Gilliam returned the opening kickoff 94 yards for
a touchdown (but they lost 27-13 loss to the Los Angeles Rams) until December 8, 1974 when they won 14-0 over the St. Louis
Cardinals. On November 8, 1970, Tom Dempsey made his record-breaking 63-yard field goal there, pushing the Saints into a
19-17 win over the Detroit Lions.
Tulane Stadium was the site of three of the first nine Super Bowls -- Super Bowls IV in 1970, VI in 1972, and IX in 1975.
Super Bowl IX was the final professional league game ever played at the stadium. It would become one of three stadiums which
hosted a Super Bowl and are no longer standing. Tampa Stadium (which hosted two Super Bowls) was demolished in April 1999
and the Orange Bowl (which hosted five Super Bowl games) was demolished in September 2008.
The record attendance of
86,598 was set on December 1, 1973, during the last game played by LSU against Tulane in the Sugar Bowl. Tulane defeated LSU
14-0, ending a 25-year winless streak against LSU.
Tulane's final game at their home stadium ended in a 26-10 loss
to Ole Miss on November 30, 1974.
The stadium was condemned in 1975.
Upon appeal by the university, the original concrete and brick section was deemed fit to use, but the newer metal seating
section was declared unfit.
During its final five years, Tulane Stadium was used for football
practice, high-school games (in a limited seating area), and other smaller events. The Denver Broncos used Tulane Stadium
as its practice field prior to Super Bowl XII, the first Super Bowl played in the Superdome.
The last game
ever played in Tulane Stadium was between De La Salleand Rummel on November 1, 1979. The last point scored in Tulane Stadium
History was by Rummel High place kicker Gary Boudreaux. The stadium was under demolition from November 18, 1979 through
June 15, 1980. (Photo by Infrogmation, 1980)
On November 18, 2012, Saints receiver Lance Moore danced "Gangnam Style" after scoring against
the Oakland Raiders.
Born in New Orleans on June 23, 1948, singer Luther Kent (Kent Rowell) was inducted into the Louisiana
Music Hall of Fame on November 18, 2011.
Photo In the City Council Chamber, (left to right) John D. Lambert, Clarence O. Dupuy, James A. Moreau, Joseph V. DiRosa, Peter
H. Beer, Philip Ciaccio, and Eddie L. Sapir, November 18, 1971.
Photo of a NORD Golden Age Club square dance on November 18, 1955.
On November 18, 1944 the Liberty ship Sam Dale was launched at Delta Chipbuilding Company.
Photo of Wisner playground at Laurel and Lyons Streets on November 18, 1940 . It is equipped with shelter houses, tenis court and a
Shortly before 6 p.m. on November 18, 1926
, the Orleans-Kenner commuter train was struck
and overturned at the Southport crossing by a string of boxcars being back toward the river on a Louisiana Railway and Navigation
Company switch track. More than a dozen passengers were injured, though only two of them were taken to the hospital. The
Times-Picayune reported that George A Blanke, of Jefferson Terrace was trampled in the passengers' rush to the door and suffered
a broken rib. Another passenger, William Daylish, was thrown through a window into a drainage dish, resulting in cuts on
his hands and a case of shock. It was determined that the LR&N train, running without lights, was at fault. Text
and photo from the New Orleans Public Library
Edward Pilsbury was the 38th mayor of New Orleans. He was in office from December 19, 1876 –
November 18, 1878.
Isaac W. Patton became the 39th mayor of New Orleans on November 18, 1878.
William Freret became the city's 13h mayor on November 18, 1840.
18, 1803 the Governor Salcedo presented a plan to the Cabildo for the immediate repair of the levee caused by the
three overflows in front of the city. The Commissioners resolved to proceed with the repairs as expressed in a plan proposed
by Don Gilberto Guillemard.
18, 1785, the Governor presented a petition in which Francisca Roquigmy requested him to obtain the return of her
son from the House of Lepers in view of certificate she presented from Don Estevan Jovignet de Pellegrut (physician). The
Commissioners resolved to obtain other medical opinion before taking any action. The City Commissioners received a report
of 57 bridges needing repairs. They agreed to rebuild same out of the city funds in accordance with orders from Galvez.