Denis Prieur, a Creole, born in 1791, was elected the eighth mayor of New Orleans and took office on
May 12, 1828. Previous to his election he was City Recorder. He was a Jacksonite, the precurser
of the democratic organization of Louisiana. He was re-elected unanimously each term during a period of ten years.
He was re-elected by the Democratic Party on April 4, 1842 and served until February 7, 1843 when he resigned
to take charge of the office of Mortgage Registrar to which position he was appointed by the Governor. In 1828 the
legislature of Louisiana passed a law prohibiting the exhibition of Negroes for sale in the more frequented parts of the
city. During his admnisitration: he condemned the mal-treatment and frightful abuse of slaves. These changes were approved.
John Holland, the sheriff and a large number of local troops proceeded to a certain scene to avert an insurrection among
the slaves (the adventures of Bras Coupe were of great interest at that time because the white population in those days
greatly feared him and newspapers advertised a reward for the capture of fugitive slaves); n 1829 Donaldsonville became the
State Capital, possibly because the legislature had no place to meet due to the burning of the State Court House in New
Orleans and also because it was deemed unwise to expose the members to the temptations of the pleasures and distractions
of city life but in 1831 the seat of Government was returned to New Orleans. A year later the buildings occupied
by the Charity Hospital located at Common and Baronne Streets became vacant, by the removal of the institution to its site
on Tulane Avenue. They then became the property of the State and were used as the home of the various governmental departments
and as the meeting place of both branches of legislature during the following sixteen years; an epidemic of cholera broke
out in 1832 in which the defective water was thought to be the cause. Six thousand persons perished within twelve days.
One hospital deserted by physicians and attendants, was found filled with corpses, and the ghastly contents as well as the
buildings were ordered to be burned; in 1834 the First Presbyterian Church was built facing Lafayette Square; the St. Charles
Theatre was built in 1836 at the cost of $350,000; the first St. Charles Hotel was completed in 1838 costing $600,000. He
later served as, Collector of Customs. He died on November 9, 1857 at the age of 66, from a paralytic
stroke. His funeral, which took place from the residence of his sister, Mrs. Le Monier, 193 Canal Street, was one of the
largest ever held in New Orleans. (From the New Orleans Public Library)
Preservation Hall Receives the National Medal of Arts
November 9, 2006
The Preservation Hall Jazz Band was awarded
the 2006 National Medal of Arts, the nation’s highest honor for artistic excellence. The award was presented to
creative director of Preservation Hall, Benjamin Jaffe and co-founder of Preservation Hall, Sandra Jaffe, who accepted
the award from President and Mrs. Laura Bush in an Oval Office ceremony on November 9, 2006. The citation
reads: “With enormous talent and pride, this ageless ensemble has toured the world displaying the unbreakable spirit
of New Orleans and sharing the joy of New Orleans jazz with us all". Established in 1961 with the purpose "to
preserve, perpetuate, and protect traditional New Orleans Jazz", its musicians have done so for more than half a century
in one of the oldest buildings in the French Quarter, and around the world.
The first record of the property
on which the building was constructed dates to January 1, 1722 when Manrolle de Cas was granted the land. A large fire destroyed
an original building there, as well as the famous Orleans Ballroom (now Royal Orleans Hotel), in 1816. On Tuesday,
November 18th 1817, Joseph Guillot and Claude Gurlie sold the property on which the two-story brick building is located
to Agathe Fanchon, a femme de couleur libre (free woman of color), for $13,500.
Around the turn of the century it was used as the residence of Dr. Eugene Rabasse and Joseph
Oreda's tin shop. During the 1920s it was the home and photography studio of Mr. and Mrs. Will H. Moses (Mrs. Moses
continued to live there and operated the studio long after her husband's death. In 1925 the building, which was described
the the local newspaper as "one of the most delightful of those on the block at present to be the center of development".
was remodelled by S. J. Shwartz, owner of Maison Blanche (see October 30).
In 1927 resident Mrs.
Orme Grey, president of the Vieux Carre Million Club, caused a stir when she submitted names to the Times-Picayune of people
who apparently were having a great time on the same block where Pat O'Brien's bar would later call home; an outraged club
member made it known that her peers "deplore vice conditions in the Vieux Carre. Persons of social standing in
New Orleans contribute by renting studios in the Old Quarter for purposes of giving wild parties".
the 1930s, if not earlier, photographer Wood "Pops" Whitesell and architect Arthur Feitell moved there. During
the 1950s a part of the building was used as an art gallery named Associated Artists which was managed by E. Lorentz (Larry)
Borenstein. In January 1984, Sandra and Allan Jaffe (founders of Preservation Hall) bought the building for $600,000.
On August 27, 1961, a one-man show of Xavier de Callatay's work included, according to an article in the
Times-Picayune on that same date, "an informal jazz concert" during the reception which was held from 2 to 5 p.m.
at 730 St. Peter (Borenstein's next-door property). This drawing by Callatay was executed in 1961, might have appeared
at the historic August showing, and now resides in the Ogden Museum of Southern Art. It depicts George Lewis, one of
the first musicians to play at Borensteins Associated Artists gallery.
It has been said
that Borenstein hosted many prior jazz sessions at 726 St. Peter, and from these evolved what we now know as Preservation
Hall which officially opened its doors in 1961. Allan and Sandra Jaffe, the hall's founders, sought to keep traditional
New Orleans jazz, played by New Orleans natives, alive during an era when venues for the historic craft were few and far between.
They hired George Lewis, Punch Miller, Sweet Emma Barrett, Billie and De De Pierce, The Humphrey Brothers, and dozens more,
and payed them at or above the normal rates.
In 1963, Jaffe organized a tour of the newly minted
Preservation Hall Jazz Band in the Midwest. This band was manned essentially the Kid Thomas Band (Kid Thomas Valentine,
George Lewis, Louis Nelson, Emanuel Paul, Joe James, Joe “Twat” Butler, and Sammy Penn -- all of whom had played
in New Orleans during the birth of the art-form. Through the years the band has performed at Carnegie Hall, The Kennedy, The
Hollywood Bowl, the United Nations, and have toured in Europe and Japan (featuring the George Lewis Band).
who have made up the Preservation Hall band include Percy and Willie Humphrey, Frank Demond, James Prevost, James "Sing"
Miller, Cie Frazier, Jim Robinson, Narvin Kimball, and Allan Jaffe. Harold ‘Duke’ Dejan’s Olympia
Brass Band was a longtime house-band at the hall; it included, over the years, Andy Anderson, Milton Batiste, and Kid Sheik
Cola, Paul Crawford, Gerald Joseph, Emanuel Paul, Andrew Jefferson, John Smith, Henry “Booker T” Glass, Nowell
“Papa” Glass, Cag Cagnolatti, Kid Thomas Valentine, Louis Nelson, Louis Cottrell, Jr., Cié Frazier, Emanuel
Sayles, Michael White, Wendell Brunious, John Brunious, Freddie Lonzo, Walter Payton, Harry Connick, Jr., Allan Jaffe, and
Ben Jaffe. In 1987, Allan Jaffe died. In 1993 his son, Ben Jaffe took his place as manager.
first of several recording by the hall's musicians was Sweet Emma and Her Preservation Hall Jazz Band. During Preservation Hall's 50 anniversary year the band played to a sold-out audience at Carnegie Hall.
Hall. Now that's where you'll find all of the greats." said Louis Armstrong.
Construction of Tulane Gym began in 1931 with funds earned from the football team's appearance
in the 1932 Rose Bowl, and as a result it was known for many years around campus as "Rose Bowl Gym."
It Opened on October 15, 1933. During World War II, the building housed V-12 students, and in
1975 it was the site of President Gerald Ford's speech announcing the end of US involvement in the Vietnam
War. The Fieldhouse is the on-campus home of the Tulane Green Wave men's and women's basketball
teams and the women's volleyball team, and it is the 9th-oldest active basketball venue in the nation.
Tulane Gym was the home of the New Orleans Buccaneers for their 1969-70 season. In 1988 the university
remodelled and refurbished the then 55-year-old structure, timed to coincide with the return of the men's basketball program
from its three-season dormancy in the wake of a point shaving scandal involving future NBA player John
"Hot Rod" Williams. Upon completion in 1989, Tulane Gym was renamed "Avron B. Fogelman Arena" in
honor of the Memphis businessman and Tulane alumnus whose donations funded the project.Fogelman Arena has played
host to the Conference USA Women's Basketball Tournament twice, in 1999 and 2009. Immediately after the
2011–12 basketball season, a major, two-phase renovation of the arena was made possible with funds provided by
longtime supporters Bob and Kate Devlin. Phase One, including new lighting, ticket booths, chair-back seats, concrete supports,
contoured bench seating, concessions, team shop, and club areas, was completed in time for the 2012–13 basketball
season. Additionally the acoustical ceiling was removed to reveal the original red wood ceiling and steel structure. The
newly renovated multi-purpose 3,600-seat Devlin Fieldhouse opened on November 9, 2012, with a women's basketball
game versus the Louisiana Tech Lady Techsters.
Photos of Paris Avenue on November 9, 1956.
Photos of Melpomene Avenue on November 9, 1956.
Pascal Frank Calogero, Jr., born November 9, 1931, was a Chief
Justice of the Louisiana Supreme Court. A graduate of Loyola University New Orleans School of Law,
He was first elected to the Court in 1972. He retired at the end of 2008. He had longest tenure of any Justice on the Louisiana
New York Times, WASHINGTON, November 9, 1909, Tuesday. -- The Census Bureau to-day issued a
report showing that 7,012,317 bales, counting round bales as half bales, had been ginned from the growth of 1909 to Nov. 1,
as compared with 8,191,557 bales for 1908. Round bales included this year are 109,665, compared with 149,866 for 1908.
Denis Prieur, a Creole, born in 1791, was elected the eighth mayor of New Orleans and took office May 12, 1828.
Previous to his election he had satisfactorily performed the duties of City Recorder and was brought out by the Jacksonites
as their standard-bearer. The Jackson Partisans, made much ado over his victory, defeating the Adam’s faction, a
“ring” as it would be called today. From this regime originated the democratic organization of Louisiana. The
Adam’s faction had named A. Peuchaud, another prominent Creole, for their candidate.
Denis Prieur was re-elected
unanimously each term during a period of ten years. His mayoralty was eventful because it illustrates the extent of political
animosities in those days. A federalist, by the name of William Harper was elected to the City Council at the time Prieur
became Mayor and his policies were entirely different from those of Prieur’s. The papers of that period fully described
the wars waged against each other on account of their opposite policies.
He was re-elected by the Democratic Party
April 4, 1842 and served until February 7, 1843 when he resigned to take charge of the office of Mortgage
Registrar to which position he was appointed by the Governor of the State of Louisiana.
The disorderly conduct of
the lawless element in the community caused the mayor to take drastic measures and he organized the “Square Watch”
which superseded the militia patrol and thereby tried to suppress the plundering and robbery that was prevalent at that
In 1828 the legislature of Louisiana passed a law prohibiting the exhibition of Negroes for sale in the more
frequented parts of the city. The mayor condemned the mal-treatment and frightful abuse of slaves. These changes were
approved. John Holland, the sheriff and a large number of local troops proceeded to a certain scene to avert an insurrection
among the slaves. The adventures of Bras Coupe were of great interest at that time because the white population in those
days greatly feared him and newspapers advertised a reward for the capture of fugitive slaves.
In 1829 Donaldsonville
became the State Capital, possibly because the legislature had no place to meet due to the burning of the State Court House
in New Orleans and also because it was deemed unwise to expose the members to the temptations of the pleasures and distractions
of city life.
This did not last long, for in 1831 the seat of Government was returned to New Orleans. A year later
the buildings occupied by the Charity Hospital located at Common and Baronne Streets became vacant, by the removal of the
institution to its present site on Tulane Avenue. They then became the property of the State and were used as the home of
the various governmental departments and as the meeting place of both branches of legislature during the following sixteen
On February 7, 1829 the New Orleans Gas Light Company was incorporated. The capital of
the company was $100,000, with the privilege to increase to any amount not exceeding $300,000.
8, 1836 a new charter divided the city into three municipalities, each with its own board of alderman, but under
one mayor and one General Council represented by members of the three Municipal Councils.
An epidemic of cholera
broke out in 1832 in which the defective water was thought to be the cause. Six thousand persons perished within twelve
days. One hospital deserted by physicians and attendants, was found filled with corpses, and the ghastly contents as well
as the buildings were ordered to be burned.
In 1834 the First Presbyterian Church was built facing Lafayette Square.
The St. Charles Theatre was built in 1836 at the cost of $350,000 and the first St. Charles Hotel was completed in 1838
On May 13, 1837 the disaster with which Louisiana had been threatened for a
long time, finally fell upon her. Fourteen New Orleans Banks suspended specie payments. As an emergency measure and to
afford the community temporary relief, the three municipalities of New Orleans each issued bills amounting to as much as
four dollars, but within a short time private companies and even individuals claimed the same privilege so that the State
was inundated with rag money.
One of the direct causes for this condition was the fact that too much attention was
being given to the cultivation of cotton which was bringing a higher price than sugar. After 1840, however, a new tariff
brought up the price of sugar, which became again the great staple of Louisiana.
Mention of the death of two of
Louisiana’s citizens famous in history, which concurred during Prieur’s administration, may be made:
Father Antonio de Sedella, better known as Pere Antoine, a Capuchin friar, passed away on January 19, 1829
amid the love and tears of the whole city. This wonderful old man, adored for his benevolence, came to the province of
Louisiana in 1779. He is supposed to have performed nearly one half of the marriage and funeral ceremonies for the inhabitants
of the city, until his death, at the ripe old age of 90. He lies buried at the foot of the altar of the St. Louis Cathedral,
of which he was the Cure (or pastor) for the parish, for nearly fifty years. The St. Louis Cathedral, an ancient and interesting
edifice of New Orleans facing Jackson Square or “Place d’Arms” as it was known in those days, stands today
on the very site where the first house of worship was erected by Bienville and his pioneers in 1718. It is filled with
historic lore and has witnessed the principal events which occurred since the founding of the city up to the present time.
The local Masonic Fraternities took a conspicuous part in the funeral procession. A notice in the Louisiana Courier of
1829 reads as follows: “Masons of all rites and of all degrees, to you we address ourselves, remember that Father
Antoine never refused to accompany to their last abode the mortal remains of our brethren and that gratitude now requires
that we should in turn accompany him with respect and veneration he so well deserved.”
Dominique You, the pirate, well known for his courage and intrepidity, cherished and esteemed by every American and mostly
by every native of Louisiana for the signal services which he rendered this State and the Union during the invasion of the
British, died the following year, November 15, 1830. He was never favored by fortune and died almost in
want, but no sooner did his death become known to the members of the City Council, then they hastened to pay the sacred
debt which the city owed this brave man for his efforts, by furnishing him with a suitable funeral which took place from
his residence corner Mandeville and Love Street. He is buried in St. Louis Cemetery number two.
men worthy of note in New Orleans who passed away at that time, were Governor Pierre Derbigny, who died on the 6th
r, and J. W. Smith, Judge of the Criminal Court, who died on the 7th of November
Denis Prieur was the Democratic candidate for Governor at one time, but was not elected; he was, however, Collector of Customs.
Mr. Prieur was a man of chivalrous instincts, a noble type of his race, popular with all classes of society, brave, charitable
and accessible to all.
He died on November 9, 1857 at the age of 66, from a paralytic stroke.
His funeral, which took place from the residence of his sister, Mrs. Le Monier, 193 Canal Street, was one of the largest
ever held in New Orleans. (From the New Orleans Public Library)