St. Mary's Assumption Church
Listed on National Register of Historic Places
August 12, 1971
Photo by Infrogmation
St. Mary's Assumption Church, served by the Redemptorist fathers
who arrived in New Orleans at the invitation of Bishop Antoine Blanc in 1843 and would eventually settle in the area originally
known as Lafayette, was completed in 1860 at the corner of Constance and Josephine streets. Built for the German Catholic
immigrant population in the Lower Garden District it was located across the street from Saint Alphonsus Church which was built
at the same time for the Irish Catholic immigrant population.
The church is home to the shrine for
Blessed Francis Xavier Seelos, a German priest who came to the United States to minister to German-speaking immigrants.
Fr. Seelos died in 1867 while serving as its pastor and after caring for victims of yellow fever when he succumbed to the
disease. In recognition of his virtuous life, Fr. Seelos was beatified by the Roman Catholic Church in 2000. His remains
are enshrined in the church and the Seelos Welcome Center is located next door.
In 1965, the church
was heavily damaged by Hurricane Betsy, which resulted in it being temporarily closed and possibly demolished. Restored afterwards
it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on August 12, 1971 and declared a National Historic Landmark on
May 30, 1974.
Best-selling novelist Anne Rice renewed her marriage vows at St. Mary's Assumption with
her husband Stan. In addition, Rice included the church in her fictional works The Witching Hour and Blackwood Farm. In 2005,
the author encouraged donations on her website to repair the damages caused by Hurricane Katrina.
Mary’s Assumption Church now serves as the active sacramental church of the combined St. Alphonsus/Bon Secour (originally
built for the French population) parish.
The Saints first pre-season victory was against the St. Louis Cardinals (23-14) at Shreveport on August
On August 12, 1963. Lee Harvey Oswald pled guilty to the charge of disturbing
the peace and was fined $10 after being arrested and jailed on August 9 and 10 for fighting withCarlos Bringuier while handing
out pro-Castro leaflets in the 700 block of Canal Street. On August 16, Oswald distributed Fair Play for Cuba leaflets
with two hired helpers in front of the International Trade Mart. The incident was filmed by WDSU—the local TV station.
On August 12, 1944
, the Liberty ship Isaac Delgado
was launched by Delta Shipbuilding
Singer, songwriter and arranger Joe Jones was born in New Orleans on August 12, 1926. Jones
is also generally credited with discovering The Dixie Cups and worked with B.B. King. As a singer, Jones' greatest hit was
the Top Five 1960 R&B hit "You Talk Too Much", which also reached #3 on the pop chart.
On August 12, 1808, the Cabildo received a letter from Commodore Porter soliciting the
authorization to construct a building on the batture opposite Marigny Canal; for a telegraphic line from the Balise to New