Edmond "Doc" Souchon
August 24, 1968
Photograph from the Louisiana Digital Library
Born on October 25, 1897
to a prominent New Orleans family, Edmond Souchon II was a passionate lover of jazz and a dedicated physician. He practiced
medicine at Hotel Dieu (as chief of staff), Charity, De Paul, Mercy, and Crippled Childrens Hospitals. He was a founding
member of the Louisiana Surgical Association, a pioneer user of sodium pentathlon as a general anesthetic, and a life fellow
of the American and the International College of Surgeons. He was a director of Pan American Life Insurance Company and
the Krewe of Rex.
“Doc” formed his first band, The Six and 7/8 Sting Band (which played
music akin to jazz before the term had been coined) while attending Tulane University. He played guitar and banjo with many
of jazz' best musicians including Johnny Wiggs, Sherwood Mangiapane, Papa Jack Laine, and Paul Barbarin.
is credited with the historical preservation of jazz during his lifetime. To accomplish that he featured great local musicians
and their music on a WWL radio show, contributed to Life, Newsweek, and Time magazines, lectured and appeared on national
radio and television programs. He had become so well known for his avocation as a local jazz enthusiast that On May 5, 1961
he appeared on the popular “This is Your Life!” television show hosted by Ralph Edwards.
played benefits for Crippled Children's Hospital, established the National Jazz Foundation and the New Orleans Jazz Museum,
recorded some 500 songs, was a president of the New Orleans Jazz Club, and edited their publication, Second Line, from
1951 until his death. He could not read a note of music.
In 1967, with Al Rose, he wrote New Orleans
Jazz: A Family Album. “Doc” Souchon died, playing his guitar for friends and family, on August 24, 1968 in his
home at 523 Betz Place. He bequeathed 5000 records and a library of literature to the New Orleans Public Library and the
William Ransom Hogan Jazz Archives at Tulane. He is pictured here (center) with Sharkey and Mildred Bonano at a party in their
From Legendary Locals of Metairie by Catherine Campanella.
John Schwegmann was in hot water on August 24, 1973 for fighting a "milk war"
between his grocery stores and the "orderly milk marketing law" also known as a price-fixing law. Schwegmann promised
his customers rebates if the law was enacted. The First Circuit Court of Appeals ordered him to cease what it interpreted
as illegal acts. See August 14.
Augst 24, 1983
McKenzie's Lemon Cookies advertisement.
August 23, 1983
advertisement for Labiche's several locations -- Barrone, Carrollton, Westside, O'Keefe,
Born on October 25, 1897 to a prominent New Orleans family, Edmond Souchon II was a passionate lover
of jazz and a dedicated physician. He practiced medicine at Hotel Dieu (as chief of staff), Charity, De Paul, Mercy, and
Crippled Childrens Hospitals. He was a founding member of the Louisiana Surgical Association, a pioneer user of sodium pentathlon
as a general anesthetic, and a life fellow of the American and the International College of Surgeons. He was a director
of Pan American Life Insurance Company and the Krewe of Rex. “Doc Souchon” formed his first band, The Six and
7/8 Sting Band (which played music akin to jazz before the term had been coined) while attending Tulane University. He played
guitar and banjo with many of jazz' best musicians including Johnny Wiggs, Sherwood Mangiapane, Papa Jack Laine, and Paul
Barbarin. He is credited with the historical preservation of jazz during his lifetime. To accomplish that he featured great
local musicians and their music on a WWL radio show, contributed to Life, Newsweek, and Time magazines, lectured and appeared
on national radio and television programs. He had become so well known for his avocation as a local jazz enthusiast that
On May 5, 1961 he appeared on the popular “This is Your Life!” television show hosted by Ralph Edwards. Souchon
played benefits for Crippled Children's Hospital, established the National Jazz Foundation and the New Orleans Jazz Museum,
recorded some 500 songs, was a president of the New Orleans Jazz Club, and edited Second Line (page ???) from 1951 until his
death. He could not read a note of music. In 1967, with Al Rose, he wrote New Orleans Jazz: A Family Album. “Doc”
Souchon died, playing his guitar for friends and family, on August 24, 1968 in his home at 523 Betz Place.
He bequeathed 5000 records and a library of literature to the New Orleans Public Library and the William Ransom Hogan Jazz
Archives at Tulane. He is pictured here (center) with Sharkey and Mildred Bonano at a party in their home.
On August 24, 1963 a grass-roots group of daily streetcar riders advertised a
petition seeking signatures to "Save Our Streetcars" on Canal Street. Mrs. Joan L. Legrand and Cyril O. Rouseau
organized the petition activities.
John L. Lenfant, the proprietor of the "Largest Dance Floor in the World" advertised that,
after a long history in the business, he was back in business -- his 90x200 foot floor was located at St. Ann and North Broad
streets and had operated as "Frolic Gardens", an open-air facility in 1923. He purchased it in 1940, renamed it
the "Top Hat Club" and featured New Orleans greats such as Tony Almerico, Leon Prima, and Sharkey Bonano.
A very rainy season prompted him to add a roof over the 'gardens' and rent it as a display warehouse for a furniture company.
On August 24, 1963 Lenfant announced that his dance floor [and gambling house] was back in business, free
to all adults -- he planned to profit on the sale of drinks.
Jim Gaines announced the opening of the first Kentucky Fried Chicken outlet in Louisiana on August
24, 1963. From his location at 7328 Chef Menteur Highway he would offer the then standard menu at tables, for
delivery, or for take-out. Mr. Gains noted that if this first location in the city turned out to be a success he would
open more outlets in New Orleans.
Dorothy Violet Gulledge, an amateur photographer, born in
Perry County, Mississippi, on August 24, 1908, snapped 2,818 photographic color slides of Louisiana
and Mississippi scenes from 1947 until 1973. Her family moved to New Orleans in 1922, where
she lived for the rest of her life. Miss Gulledge worked as a stenographer and office manager
for the Liquid Carbolic Corporation in the 1930s, and from the 1940s-1970s, as a legal secretary. According to Ann
Garza, Miss Gulledge's sister and the donor of Dorothy's collection to the New Orleans Public
Library, Miss Gulledge enjoyed travelling and took photographs on her travels. Many of the photographs
were apparently taken during commercial bus tours to plantation homes and other sites or during
organized tours of French Quarter courtyards, possibly in connection with New Orleans' annual
Spring Fiesta. She also enjoyed taking long walks in the French Quarter and elsewhere to take photographs. She did not
drive but traveled around the city by streetcar and bus with her camera. Miss Gulledge died
on November 1, 1988. Click here to view her collection of photographs.
BARRETT, John Bruce, master machinist. Born, New Orleans,
August 13, 1896; son of John Augustus Barrett (q.v.) and Imogene Isabella Cassidy.
Education: New Orleans public schools. Employed by New Orleans Sewerage and Water Board, Algiers
Iron Works, Algiers Dry Docks and Federal Barge Line. Member, Catholic church; Knights of
Columbus, Crescent Chapter No. 3; held all the chairs in the Saints John Masonic Lodge No. 153 F. & A.M., Worshipful
Master, 1947; Eastern Star St. John Chapter No. 35; St. John Chapter No. 98 R.A.M.; Democratic
party. Married, December, 1921, Carmen Elizabeth Vanderlinden of New Orleans, daughter of Joseph
Jules Vanderlinden and Anna Eliza Cayard. Children: Carmen Marguerite (b. 1923), Ralph Bruce
(b. 1926). Died, August 24, 1958, New Orleans; interred Metairie Cemetery. C.M.B. Sources:
J. B. Barrett family records; birth certificate, marriage certificate (Book No. 46, folio 9W), and death certificate
(58 05971), New Orleans Vital Records; Trinity Lutheran Church, New Orleans, La.; Saints John
Chapter Masonic Lodge, No. 153, F. & A.M.; obituary, New Orleans Times-Picayune and New
Orleans States; Louisiana Census, 1900, 1910. From http://lahistory.org/site19.php
CALDWELL, George A., contractor. Born, Abbeville, La., August 24, 1892; son of Charlie
Caldwell and Camille LeBlanc. Married, December 11, 1948, Margaret Longmire of Baton Rouge. State superintendent of construction,
mid-1930s: supervised construction of nine buildings on Louisiana State University campus, New Orleans Municipal Auditorium,
Bolton High School of Alexandria, and the Ouachita Parish Courthouse. Sentenced, February 13, 1940, to four years in Atlanta
Federal Penetentiary for tax evasion and kickbacks received on LSU buildings; paroled September 1941; pardoned by President
Truman, 1948. General contractor: built twenty-six major buildings throughout the state, including six hospitals, East
Baton Rouge Parish and Webster Parish courthouses; the Louisiana State Library; the Louisiana State University Library (Baton
Rouge); the state highway department office building; five churches; two church youth centers; five schools; the Grambling
University Science Building; and the dairy and physics buildings at LSU-Baton Rouge. Member: Catholic church. Died, Baton
Rouge, March 12, 1966 From http://lahistory.org/site20.php
BRUENING, Augustine Joseph, clergyman. Born in Germany, August 24, 1879.
Immigrated as a youth to the U. S.; attended St. Joseph's College, Kirkwood, Mo., 1894-1900. Pursued philosophical
and theological courses at Mt. St. Clement's, DeSoto, Mo., 1901-1905. After ordination assigned, January 7, 1917, St.
Henry's, San Antonio, Tex. (1917-1918). Followed Archbishop John W. Shaw (q.v.) to New Orleans and served him in
numerous capacities: secretary and vice chancellor from October 15 to December 31, 1918; chancellor from January 1,
1919, to December 31, 1923. He was also consultor, pro-synodal judge on the Metropolitan Tribunal, deputy for seminary
in temporalities, building commission member. Best remembered for leadership in drive for funding the erection and
endowment of Notre Dame Seminary, 1920-1921. Named pastor of Our Lady of Good Counsel Church, New Orleans, 1924.
Named, 1938, domestic prelate. Died, January 20, 1944; interred St. Louis Cemetery III, New Orleans. H.C.B.
Sources: Bruening Papers in Archdiocesan Archives; Registers of Our Lady of Good Counsel Church, New Orleans, and
Chancery documents. From http://lahistory.org/site19.php
Thomas Levingston Bayne, attorney. Born, Clinton, Ga., August 24, 1824; son of Charles
Bayne and Elizabeth Bowen. Married, December 22, 1853, Anna Maria Gayle (1835-1879), daughter of Gov. John Gayle of Alabama.
Six children reached maturity: Mary Aiken (b. 1855); Charles Bowen (b. 1861); Edith (b. 1863), married George Denègre
(q.v.); Thomas, Jr. (b. 1865); Amelia Elizabeth (b. 1868), married Stanhope Jones (q.v.); and Hugh Aiken (b. 1870). Education:
Yale University, B. A., 1847; read law in firm of Slidell & Clark, firm later Clark & Bayne, later Bayne, Denègre
& Bayne, later Denègre, Leovy & Chaffe, now Chaffe, McCall, Phillips, Toler & Sarpy. Enlisted in Washington
Artillery, 1862; wounded at Shiloh; later lieutenant colonel, C.S.A., stationed in Richmond as chief of Bureau of Foreign
Supplies. After war, rebuilt law practice; leader in New Orleans bar; vice president, American Bar Association. Active in
civic affairs; particularly interested in assisting veterans and ridding the city of carpetbag rule. Died, New Orleans, December
10, 1891. G.D. Sources: Newspaper articles and family papers compiled by Hugh A. Bayne (unpublished), deposited in Yale University
Library. From http://lahistory.org/site19.php
DAKIN, James Harrison, architect. Born, New York, August 24, 1806. Joined architects
Town & Davis, New York, 1829; studied under Davis; partner, Town, Davis & Dakin, 1832-1833. Hired James Gallier,
Sr. (q.v.) and brother, Charles Dakin (born New York, May 24, 1811, died St. Gabriel, La. [?], June 25. 1839); established
own practice in New York, 1833-1835. Removed to New Orleans, November, 1835. Joined brother, Charles, forming Dakin &
Dakin. When Charles left Gallier, 1835, to run Mobile, Ala., office of Dakin & Dakin, 1836-1839, James carried on
alone, 1839-1852. Dakin designs include New York University, 1833; Rockaway Marine Pavilion, 1833; First Presbyterian Church,
Troy, N. Y., 1834; Bank of Louisville (Ky.), 1834. In New Orleans: Verandah Hotel, 1836; St. Patrick's Church, 1837; State
Arsenal, 1839; Medical College of Louisiana, 1843. In 1846, Henry Howard (q.v.) draftsman in his office. Served in Mexico
in Mexican War, 1846. Then did University of Louisiana (New Orleans), 1847, Louisiana State Capitol, Baton Rouge, 1847;
lived in Baton Rouge, 1847-1852. Supervised construction of New Orleans Custom House, 1850-1851. Finished Louisiana capitol
interior, 1852. Is considered one of more original Romantic-era architects. Died, Baton Rouge, May 13, 1852. From
August 24th, 1780: A hurricane worse
that the August 1779 storm swept over the province of Louisiana striking New Orleans; destroying crops, tearing down
buildings and sinking every vessel and boat afloat on the Mississippi River and on area lakes. It was during this storm
that Dunbar noted that tornadoes form around tropical storms and seldom lasted more than 5 to 10 minutes. This was of
no comfort to the inhabitants of the area, who were distraught after these two storms and an excessively cold winter followed
by a very rainy summer. These residents wrote the Spanish sovereign not to abandon the country regardless of the adverse
blows of nature. The following is a description of the hurricane from page 235 of the book History of Louisiana History of Louisiana, The (Louisiana Parish Histories Series) by Francois Xavier Martin. "...On the twenty-fourth of August, Louisiana was desolated by a hurricane. This year the
Mississippi rose to a greater height than was remembered by by the oldest inhabitants. In the Attakapas and Opelousas, the
inundation was extreme. The few spots which the water did not reach were covered with deer..." (NOAA)
Life Goes on Without Louis Prima
August 24, 1978
During the late 1800s until the early 1920s this property along the with the adjoining 227
Bourbon Street was used by the Chas W. Stumpf Piano Co. LTD. Charles Stumpf was a cornet player and band leader in New
Orleans. The musical legacy continured into the 1930s when Leon Prima (1907--1985) operated the Shim Sham Club here.
A September, 1935 advertisement for the Shim Sham Club announced "Opening Tonight -- Louis Prima and his New Orleans
Five Orchestra Direct from the Famous Door in New York at Prima's Shim-Sham Club for Five Days Only featuring the Kind of
Music that made him the Toast of Broadway -- Shim-Sham Review...Dimples Dalton, Princess of Blues...Shim-Shamettes, Beauty
Chorus...Barron and Lynne". Louis Prima was Leon's older brother. By the late 1930s the building became the
Swing Club -- a detail of the larger sign out front includes "Formerly Prima's...Tantalizing Swing Music...New Low Price
Policy...No Cover Charge...No Miniumum...Under New Management" these 1938 photographs. The smaller sign included "Proudly
Presents 2 Shows Featuring Hi-Class Entertainment"(shared caption). During the 1990s Ian Hardcastle, sole
owner and shareholder of Bourbon Street Gospel and Blues, inc. and 227 Bourbon Street, Inc., owned the property from 227 through
235 Bourbon Street and sublet it for use as a jazz club. By the turn of the century, Bourbon Street Entertainmen operated
Utopia music club at this location where lighted trees and fountatins grace the large courtyard. The company also owned
the Jazz Parlor (125 Bourbon Street), the Ragin' Rooster (228 Bourbon Street), and partially owned Howl at the Moon (135 Bourbon).
The building at 229 Bourbon Street later housed the Boogie Woogie, Club Utopia and Rhythms music clubs. As of this writing
It is now Jazz Gumbo gift shop.
Leon Prima was a trained pianist who became a trumpet player and
band leader. As a young man Leon played with early jazz greats Leon Roppolo, Ray Bauduc, Jack Teagarden in New Orleans
as well as with Peck Kelley's Bad Boys in Texas. He led the Melody Masters in New Orleans during the late 1920s.
From 1940--1946, Leon played with Louis' big band in New York. After returning to New Orleans, Leon headed his own combo
until retiring from music in 1955. He also operated the 500 Club (441 Bourbon Street) whose house band was led by Sam
Butera until 1954 when Butera joined Louis' band in Las Vegas. Pictured is the Prima-Skarkey Orchestra in 1930 at the
at the Little Club in New Orleans -- Front row: Charlie Hartmann (trombone), Sharkey Bonano (trumpet), Leon Prima (trumpet),
Irving "Fazzola" Prestnoptik (clarinet and sax), Dave Winstein (sax and clarinet), Nina Picone (sax); back row:
Augie Schellang (drums), Louie Mass.
Louis Leo Prima (1910--1978) Born in the French Quarter of Sicilian immigrants Angelina
and Anthony Prima, Louis played at the Shim Sham Club four decades later. A violinist (until 15) turned trumpeter (when
he picked up older brother Leon's horn) as a young man played with Irving Fazola, with his brother Leon's band, and in the
house band at the Saenger Theater in New Orleans (1931). In this 1924 photograph (above we see
(left to right) Leon Roppolo (playing the quitar), Louis Prima, Peck Kelly, Don (unknown). The Inscription reads: "Ropp
hitting a few cords for the boys." The image was likely shot at the New Orleans lakefront. From the photo collection
of Dr. Edmond Souchon. During 1930s Prima worked with Red Nichols, before forming a seven-piece jazz
band called "Louis Prima's New Orleans Gang" which he formed in New York City in 1934 where he played with
fellow New Orleans musicians Eddie Miller (tenor sax and clarinet) and George Brunies (trombone). Prima composed "Sing
Sing Sing" (now in the Grammy Hall of Fame) in 1936 before it became one of Benny Goodman's most popular swing era tune.
Twenty years later Prima recorded "Jump, Jive and Wail" (1956).
Pictured is Louis Prima's band in 1927 which included (left to right) Irving Fazola (clarinet/sax),
John Miller (piano), Bob Jeffers (bass), George Hartman (trumpet), Louis Prima (trumpet), Cliff LeBlanc (trombone), Leonart
Albersted (banjo), Jacob Sciambra (clarient/sax), Burt Andrus (clarinet/sax), John Vivano (drums). (Photo from the Louisiana
During the 1950s Louis performed with New Orleans saxophonist Sam Butera and the Witnesses (beginning
in 1954) and a 16 year old Keely Smith (later his fourth wife). Hits included "Just a Gigolo - I Ain't Got
Nobody (1956)," "Buona Sera," (1956) "Black Magic (1958)," "Zooma, Zooma," "When You're
Smilin'," In 1967 his was the voice of King Louis the oragnutan in Walt Disney's animated film The Jungle Book.
During the early '70s he and Butera returned to New Orleans to play in the French Quarter. Louis never
fully recovered from a 1975 surgery for a brain tumor. He died in New Orleans August 24, 1978 and is buried
in Metairie Cemetery in a tomb with a statue of Gabriel the trumpeter-angel which is inscribed "When the
end comes, I know, they'll all say 'just a gigolo' as life goes on without me..." Photos from the Louisiana Digital