Happy Birthday, Pete!
July 3. 1930
Pierre Dewey LaFontaine, Jr. was born in New Orleans on
White Street between Dumaine and St. Ann on July 3, 1930. As a child battling frequent respiratory infections due to weakened
lungs, a local doctor advised his father to purchase a wind instrument -- Pete chose a clarinet. He took private lessons
and played at McDonogh 28 school. After gigs with Monk Hazel and Al Hirt. he founded The Basin Street Six in 1950 with his
longtime friend, trumpeter George Girard. He married Beverly Lang on October 27, 1951.
National fame came when he joined the Lawrence Welk Orchestra. Upon returning to
New Orleans, he played with The Dukes of Dixieland, then began forming his own bands. The New Orleans Jazz Club declared "Pete
Fountain Day" on October 19, 1959. He opened his club at 800 Bourbon Street in the spring of 1960.
In 1963 he and
his band played the Hollywood Bowl. He appeared on The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson 56 times. He had a club at
the Riverside Hilton and later played regularly at the Casino Magic in Bay St. Louis.
of The Half Fast Walking Club and a true New Orleans character, he was awarded an honorary degree
University New Orleans in 2006
. On March 18, 2007, Pete Fountain was inducted into the Louisiana Music Hall of
. He is pictured here at age 19
Basin Street Six
a New Orleans Jazz Club Meeting
. Photograph from the collection
. Edmond Souchon
at the Louisiana Digital Library.
You Can Support this Site by Clicking on & Shopping from this Amazon Link -- and
it won't cost you a penny more:
On July 3, 2003, the largest crowd in Zephyr Field history, 11,925 attended the
Zephyrs game where they lost 1 to 0 to the Nashville Sounds.
The Uptown New Orleans Historic District, roughly
bounded by Louisiana, Claiborne, Lowerline, and the Mississippi River, was listed on the National Register of Historic
Places on July 3, 1985.
Workmen were repairing the Causeway bridge afte a barge knocked out a section in an early morning collision
on July 3, 1967.
Jazz trumeter Leeds "Lee" Collins was born in New Orleans on October 17, 1901. He
played in brass bands as a teenager, including The Young Eagles, The Columbia Band, and the Tuxedo Brass Band. In the 1910s
he played in New Orleans alongside Louis Armstrong, Papa Celestin, and Zutty Singleton. He moved to Chicago in 1924, where
he replaced Louis Armstrong in King Oliver's band. He also played with Jelly Roll Morton but the two had disagreements and
fell out when Collins claimed that Morton stole the song Fish Tail Blues from him. He returned to New Orleans. There he played
on the recordings of the Jones-Collins Astoria Hot Eight in 1929 before playing in New York City with Luis Russell in 1930
and then heading back to Chicago. There he played with Dave Peyton (1930), the Chicago Ramblers (1932), Johnny Dodds and Baby
Dodds, Zutty Singleton, Mezz Mezzrow, Lovie Austin, and Jimmy Bertrand (1945). Collins played in Chicago through the 1930s
and 1940s as an accompanist to many blues singers and in nightclubs. After 1945 he led his own band at the Victory Club on
Clark Street in Chicago, and gigged with Chippie Hill (1946), Kid Ory (1948), and Art Hodes (1950-51). He played in Europe
with Mezz Mezzrow in 1951 and 1954 and in California with Joe Sullivan in 1953. In the mid-1950s he retired due to illness.
Collins wrote an autobiography, Oh, Didn't He Ramble, with the aid of his wife Mary and two editors which was published in
1974. Collins died in Chicago on July 3, 1960 at the age of 58.
On July 3, 1906, property owners and residents of Lafayette Ave. from Claiborne
to Broad petitioned the city for drains.
City Ordinance:RESOLVED, that from the present resolution's enactment approved June 24, 1816, Ordinance
entitled "Ordinance to prevent the construction of building in the City of New Orleans with wood, relative to the construction
of houses and other buildings in said City" and the dispositions of the Ordinance approved February 25, 1822 entitled
"Supplemental Ordinance to the Ordinance prohibiting the construction of houses and other buildings with wood"
as well as the dispositions of the Ordinance approved May 28, 1828, relative to the repairs of houses shall be extended
and applied to that part of Ste. Marie's Faubourg located between Camp, New Levee, Common & Delord Streets as well as
that part of the City from lower Rampart Street between St. Louis, Basin, Canal Streets, and that part of the Batture and
both sides of New Levee stree between Delord (Pg. 23) & Roffignac. RESOLVED, furthermore that any violation of the present
dispositions shall be punished by the prescribed penalties by the above mentioned Ordinances. Approved, July 3,
On July 3, 1789, Don Olivero Poleck presented a bill to the Cabildo for the fire pump
which he brought from Philadelphia on one of the ships which sailed from this city to obtain flour for this Province.