The "Old" Cotton Exchange
June 3, 1916
This is the
second Cotton Exchange building, which opened in 1883 at the corner of Gravier and Carondelet Streets. It was demolished
ca. 1918 to make way for the new (third) Exchange. (The original Exchange Building was located at Gravier and Varieties
Alley.) [Photograph by Leon Trice Picture Service] (NOPL)
During the 1920s visitors entering City Parkat the Pizzati Gate on City
Park Avenue would be greeted by these one-hundred year-old bare-breasted ladies (left) on Anseman Avenue. They had originally
hovered high above the main entrance to the New Orleans Cotton Exchange building (above) which
was built in 1823 but being readied for demolition in 1920. The ladies were acquired by the
park along with the granite caryatids which flanked the exchange's door and the standing figure between the two ladies
in the photograph. Their tenure in the park was brief – some citizens were outraged. The
ladies went on to reside at Metairie Cemetery (they were later destroyed) and the caryatids can
still be seen near the cemeteries on City Park Avenue. The fate of the top center figure
Photo from the New Orleans Public Library. Text from New Orleans City Park (Images of America by Catherine Campanella
You Can Support this Site by Clicking on & Shopping from this Amazon Link -- and it
won't cost you a penny more:
On June 3, 2010, Mitchell J. Landrieu became Mayor of New Orleans.
On June 3, 1985 the Milton H. Latter Memorial Library reopened following more
than a year of construction activity. Mrs. Shirley Latter Kaufman gave $150,000 for interior furnishings that helped
make Latter a showplace for NOPL and the Friends organization.
By ordinance of June 3, 1844 the City Council reorganized the police of the municipality
into a Night Watch and a Day Police. The former was composed of a captain, a lieutenant, a sub-lieutenant, two sergeants,
and twenty-five men, divided among a main post, a post in Faubourg Washington, and one on the Bayou Road. The captain served
at the main post and was responsible for distributing the men, taking care of the weapons, reporting daily to the Recorder
(with a copy to the Mayor), and appearing at the Recorder's Court with the prisoners apprehended by the Watch. He was to
keep a register of Watch officers and men and a journal of all police activities. All Watch members had to give proof of
their citizenship and be able to read and write as well as speak English and French fluently. (NOPL)
Confederate President Jefferson Davis was born on this day in 1808 and according
to the Confederate Memorial Hall Museum, Confederate Memorial Day is celebrated on June 3 in Louisiana and Kentucky.
Georgia and Florida honor Civil War soldiers on April 26 while Alabama and Mississippi do so on the last Monday in April.