Canal Street at Royal Street
In the way of the street cars and so moved to Lafayette Square in 1901
The Statue of Henry Clay was made by the celebrated American Sculptor Joll T. Ha.., and was moulded by Muller of Munich,
it cost approximately $50,000. The site on Canal Street at the intersection of St. Charles and Royal Streets, was selected
in order that the effect of a somewhat similar monument in Montreal, Canada, which the committee had admired, might be achieved.
The cornerstone was laid April 12, 1856 on the 79th anniversary of Henry Clay’s birthday. After being located on this
site for 40 years, the bronze statue was removed to Lafayette Square where it stands today.