1839-The town of Milneburg consists of
a few houses, the Washington and Arch Hotels, a grocery, two
barrooms and a bakery. It was named for Alexander Milne, a Scottish philanthropist who owned much of what is now the New Orleans
Lakefront. The Milneburg pier was later built with many camps that could be rented for parties. Black musicians, bands and
jazz flourished there.