1838 New Canal Light is built
Established in 1838, the original lighthouse was destroyed and replaced
by the existing structure in 1901. It remains active today and the grounds are accessable to the public. The New Canal Light,
was one of a series of octagonal wooden lighthouses built in 1838, that surrounded Lake Pontchartrain. It was built on pilings
then relocated to its present site in 1910. It was restored in 1976. Called the 'New Canal Light' because it sat on the edge
of the New Basin Canal--which was covered over during the 1950's and is now West End Boulevard. The lighthouse is still operating!