This colorful character would later, in 1834, lay out the town of Mandeville which had previously been a rural agricultural
area. By In 1840 Mandeville would officially be incorporated as a town.
...never before has the Crescent City been sung as the birthplace of the man who first brought Craps to America.
And yet to Bernard Xavier Philippe de Marigny de Mandeville, born in New Orleans in 1785, belongs this honor. A swaggering,
gallant, fantastic figure, this son of a wealthy Creole planter was left at sixteen a fabulously rich orphan. His every whim
indulged while his father was alive, he became as wild and headstrong after his death as an unbacked mustang, and his guardian,
abandoning all idea of control, finally shipped him to England, hoping that life abroad might mend his manners; but in London
Bernard's dissipations became only more pyrotechnic, and he spent most of his time at Almack's and other famous gambling places
where a novel dice ga me from France, called Hazard, was all the rage. Bad reports of his dissolute living and phrenetic
gambling came to his guardian's ears and Bernard was ordered home, where he immediately taught his Creole friends this new
...The Americans ... looked down upon the Creoles as an effete, alien race and called them "Johnny Crapauds" a term of
reproach the British had long fastened upon the French because of their supposed predilection for frogs as an article of diet.
When the Yankees saw the Creoles huddled about a table excitedly playing Marigny's new game of Hazard, wagering
money, slaves, plantations, and even dull gold mistresses on the turn of the dice, they slurringly referred to the pastime
as "Johnny Cr apaud's" game. It's popularity, however, spread like yellow fever in a mosquito swamp. Before long it became
the passionate obsession of the whole town, of Americans and Creoles alike, and was rechristened, so it was said, "crapaud's"
and later abbreviate d to "craps."
[Edward Larocque Tinker, The Palingenesis of Craps (New York, 1933), pp. 1-3]
LeDoux, Eugenie Friedrichs
Mandeville, George C.
Beach at Mandeville http://nutrias.org/photos/mugnier/louisianadescriptionandtravel/gfmladt2.htm
1895 -- 1895 - CAPE CHARLES Ferry/Steamboat ran between Spanish Fort & Mandeville
The Cape Charles was a sidewheel ferry, 252.5x36x13 feet, built by Harlan & Hollingsworth at Wilmington,
Delaware in 1885 for the New York, Philadelphia & Norfolk RR and used on Chesapeake Bay between Cape Charles and Norfolk,
Virginia 1886-1887. Sold to the New York & New England RR, used on Long Island Sound between S. Norwalk, Conn. and Oyster
Bay, Long Island, NY September 1891-July 1892. Sold to the East Louisiana RR circa 1895 and used on Lake Pontchartrain between
New Orleans (Spanish Fort) and Mandeville. Sold to the Gulf & Ship Island RR circa 1897 and rebuilt into a dredge.
Photo credit: http://www.bay-creek.com/graphics/pc13.jpg (this is not the Cape Charles, but a similar steamer.
1885 view of the Cape Charles Car and Passenger Ferry
Vetivert Essential Oil Corporation of Mandeville
Vetivert Essential Oil Corp. (Early 1900s). History of Vetiver [in Louisiana, USA]. Copies available from the
Southern Mental Hospital (Mandeville)