In May of 1907 Charles
C. Mathews opened an amusement park here in the City of New Orleans.
The name of the Place was White
City and it was located at Tulane Avenue and South Carrollton Avenue from 1907 till about 1914 when it was replaced by Heinemann
Baseball Park (Later Pelican Park). White City parks were located in several cities back then featuring bright
lights, broad walks, grand opera, wet areas and more in the Beaux Arts architectural style of the 1893 World's Columbian
Exposition in Chicago's Jackson Park.
Also in Cleveland,
Louisville, SPRINGFIELD, MISSOURI, Worcester, Massachusetts, Washington (Seattle),