Isaac Delgado, the original benefactor
of the College for whom the school was named, was a nineteenth century immigrant
from Jamaica who became a wealthy New Orleans businessman and sugar planter.
His philanthropies included the arts, medicine, and education. In a 1909 codicil
to his will, he bequeathed the residue of his estate to the City of New Orleans
to establish a manual trade school for young boys. With funds from this bequest,
land was purchased for the current fifty-seven-acre City Park Campus adjacent
to New Orleans Municipal City Park. The original building on City Park Avenue
was constructed and furnished with the bulk of the bequest. In September
of 1921, Delgado Central Trades School opened its doors with a program of vocational
trades for 1300 boys and young men.