When Joseph Bennett opened the doors in 1909 on St.
Charles Avenue, photography was still in its infancy. Bennett’s enabled the common man to equip himself with the basics
of this new fascination, along with gifts and postcards and other neat supplies.
grew in popularity, so did Bennett’s reputation. Soon, growth lead to a move to a new location at 320 Baronne Street.
Son Melvin and grandson Nelson later joined in the family business, creating even greater success for service and reliability
to New Orleans.
In the 1970’s, greater technology of equipment and its expertise in the
emerging video market lead to increased success for Bennett’s, and the store moved out to the suburbs of Metairie, across
from a new shopping concept, Lakeside Shopping Mall.