Today in New Orleans History

January 30

Shushan Airport Milneburg Joys

Frostop on Jefferson Highway Closes
January 30, 2007
Just a couple of blocks from East Jefferson High School on the corner of Phlox Avenue at 4637 Airline Highway, the Frostop Drive-in Restaurant was a popular stop for burgers and root beer.  Today Popeyes Chicken & Biscuits occupies the corner.

Other local Frostop locations could be found around town back in the day, and a few still exist in the greater New Orleans area. These photographs are of the Frostop which was located on Jefferson Highway in the Jefferson Plaza Shopping Center (AKA Arrow Shopping Center) which were taken the day before it closed on January 30, 2007:


A view from Jefferson Highway.  The slab in the foreground was a daiquiri shop pre-Katrina.


Looking North East.


Entrance with poster announcing the move to Destrehan.


The order counter.


Ticket for two combos.


Making my dear husband wait to eat while I shot the photo.


Making him wait some more.


Looks like the big mug is on its way to heaven via a cloud shute but it was schedule to be moved to a new location in Destrehan.  I don't know if that ever actually came to be.
Some "bonus" photos shot on the same day in the same shopping center:


Near River Road in the same strip, the Arrow Barber Shop.  It was scheduled to move across the highway.


Nicole's Restaurant closed with signs announcing its new location down Jefferson Highway.

You Can Support this Site by Clicking on & Shopping from this Amazon Link -- and it won't cost you a penny more:
Shushan Airport Milneburg Joys

To receive an update for each day in New Orleans history,  join our facebook page - Today in New Orleans History

Professor Longhair was born on December 19, 1918 in Bogalusa, Louisiana. He made a living as a street hustler until he started to play piano seriously in his thirties. He taught himself how to play on a piano with missing keys so his style became distinct. He began his career in New Orleans in 1948, earning a gig at the Caldonia Club where the owner, Mike Tessitore, bestowed Longhair with his stage name (due to Byrd's shaggy coiffure). Longhair first recorded in 1949, creating four songs (including the first version of his signature song, "Mardi Gras in New Orleans," complete with whistled intro) for the Dallas, Texas based Star Talent label. His band was called the Shuffling Hungarians, for reasons lost to time. Union problems curtailed their release, but Longhair's next effort for Mercury Records the same year was a winner. Throughout the 1950s, he recorded for Atlantic Records, Federal Records and other, local, labels. Professor Longhair had only one national commercial hit, "Bald Head" in 1950, credited to Roy Byrd & His Blues Jumpers. He also recorded his pet numbers "Tipitina" and "Go to the Mardi Gras".  He died on January 30, 1980.

Armand Veazey, a native of St. Martinville,  first became known at age 17 as "America's Youngest Cornet Soloist" when he began touring in the 1890s. He came to New Orleans to lead the military band at West End, a position he held for ten years.  He also performed in city theaters, race tracks, and other popular venues before becoming the leader of the Strand Theater orchestra. In 1925 he discontinued performing to become music teacher. He passed away on January 30, 1940 at his residence at 2608 Penniston Street at the age of 65 leaving his widow, Alice Pons, and one son, Chester Claude Veazey.  He was waked at Pat J. McMahon-Coburn Funeral Home at 2305 Canal Street.  Burial services took place at Our Lady of Lourdes Church and he is buried in St. Louis No. 3.

James F. Miller was the 24th mayor of New Orleans (January 30, 1863 – September 12, 1863 and November 6, 1863 – February 2, 1864).

Joseph Wiltz, owner of a plantation, measuring about four arpents front on the Mississippi, which he had acquired by act before P. Pedesclaux, Notary, on October 18, 1800, had H. Laclotte, Surveyor, on June 22, 1807, make a plan of part of his At the time Mr. Wiltz sold these lots, he abandoned in perpetuity in favor of the various purchasers of said lots, the space between the front lots and the Public Road, the pasture and the cypress swamp in the rear which were to be enjoyed by them in common with the sole condition that the purchasers should send in the common pasture only three head of animals for each lot and should cut wood in the swamps for their private use and not for sale. On January 30, 1838, by act before Francois Joseph Enoul Dugue Livaudais, Judge and ex-officio Notary of Jefferson Parish, the proprietors of these lots made a partition of the front, batture and rear of the tract. The heirs of Joseph Wiltz sued the owners of the lots, and claimed the front, batture and rear. The supreme Court in the case of Arnauld vs. Delachaise (rendered in 1849) decided that the property belonged to the owners of the lots for the reason that Joseph Wiltz at the time that he had sold the same had abandoned in perpetuity to the purchasers of said lots, the front, the batture and the rear. Faubourg Plaisance was bounded below by the Plantation of Jacques Francois Enoul de Livaudais (which boundary is now Toledano Street) and above by the Plantation of Philippe Pierre August Delachaise (now Delachaise Street).

CHAUVIN DE BEAULIEU, Louis, voyageur, concessionaire. Baptized, February 17, 1678; ninth child of Pierre Chauvin and Marthe Autreuil of the parish of Ville Marie, Montreal, Canada. Arrived in Detroit, June 14, 1706, continuing downriver to Gulf Coast. Adopted Beaulieu as surname. Accompanied Louis Juchereau de St-Denis (q.v.) in 1716 on overland commercial trip with 60,000 livres of merchandise to be sold in Texas region. Returned to Mobile in 1717; later Beaulieu's widow was compensated for his share of expedition losses. Joined brother Joseph Chauvin Deléry (q.v.) on Chapitoulas Coast in 1719. Enlarged holdings when he bought with his brother Nicolas Chauvin de La Frénière (q.v.) the tract briefly owned by Attorney General Chartier de Baulne on the edge of Bienville lands, on Bayou Metairie in 1724. Possibly the first inhabitant or property owner in what is now "Old Metairie". In that year, Louis harvested 600 measures of rice, 15 to 20 measures of beans, 300 of potatoes and 200 of indigo, besides having his share of lumber felled, treated, and sold with his two brothers Joseph and Nicolas for 12,000 livres. Chauvin de Beaulieu married in his forties Charlotte Orbanne Duval; record is missing. Died on or about January 30, 1729.  Source:

To receive an update for each day in New Orleans history,  join our facebook page - Today in New Orleans History

If you have enjoyed these daily updates, you might also enjoy these books by Catherine Campanella:



You Can Support this Site by Clicking on & Shopping from the Amazon Ad/Link below -- and it won't cost you a penny more:

Abreviations used on this site: NOPL (New Orleans Public Library), LOC (Library of Congress), LDL (Lousiana Digital Library), HNOC (Historic New Orleans Collection), WIKI (Wikipedia).

Shushan Airport
To receive an update for each day in New Orleans history,  join our facebook page - Today in New Orleans History.